Thursday, January 30, 2014

My Sewing Project








Over the long weekend, I decided to venture into some new territory: sewing clothing. I have known how to sew for most of my life, as I grew up sewing pillows and bags, but never any clothing items. I had seen a lot of Etsy shops making paper-bag skirts, and figured that it couldn't be too difficult, so I gave it a shot. 

I ended up buying my fabric from Joann's. I originally bought a yard of each fabric, and then three yards of white lining fabric. After I washed all of my fabric, I realized the seersucker cotton shrunk a lot, so I ended up having to buy an extra yard of each of the seersucker. 

Once I got to the sewing, I pretty much just made it up as I went along, and with each skirt the task got easier. Each one has an elastic waistband, and is made directly from my own measurements. I am really happy with the way that they turned out; they are so much cuter (and cheaper) than the paper-bag skirts sold for $80 at J. Crew. I absolutely cannot wait for spring to come along so that I can wear them!

2 comments:

  1. Those are so great! They look really well done. I really like the first one.

    Constance || Prep Northwest

    ReplyDelete